Close
One second...

meaning?

• by catboy17
  • posted Mar 03, 2008
  • 8 Comments

ok, so I know shirts don't HAVE to have an obvious meaning, but I was just wondering if this one happened to have one? I know it's a sequel to In Oceanic Fashion and perhaps the problem is that I had no idea what that one meant either, but this one is visually really appealing to me so I was just wondering what people's (or the designer's) thoughts are on it. Am I just missing the point or reading too much into it or what?

Watch this
mezo
mezo profile pic Alumni

It's ok to come up with your own interpretations. That's what art is all about.

shirtflirt

if there was a point
and you were aware of it
would that negate your own personal reaction?

Vindemiatrix

I always think of "In Oceanic Fashion" as a comment on the ruthlessness of the fashion industry, even though I'm pretty sure that's not was intended. Don't know how this one would fit in with that. Honestly, I think it's just supposed to be a cool juxtaposition of incongruous stuff. :)

WEContact

I think being aware of the point of art doesn't negate my own reaction. I just got the Madness of Mission 6 in the mail today and I can appreciate it on both fronts very ably.

catboy17

Hmm, interesting question. I would say that a different interpretation wouldn't necessarily negate a personal reaction, but at the same time you are saying something by wearing a certain shirt (or at least the expectation is likely there that you are) so especially with a less artsy shirt like You've Got Some Splaining to Do, if you see it as just a cute food with faces design and don't see the racial undertones, you're probably sending out a certain message that you're not intending to. As for this shirt, I suppose I love apocalyptic themes and sort of see some of that here, with the divers masks somewhat reminiscent of gas masks, though I don't assume that that was intended.

catboy17

And further if as an artist I'm trying to make a pretty clear statement (which is not always the case and probably isn't true here), I might be annoyed if someone is too caught up in artsy liberal bs to think that my point in making the work is no more authoritative than a viewer's interpretation, though this all depends on attitude. Also if you're walking around wearing Madness of Mission 6 and somebody else notices the Pacman reference when you never did, you might seem a little ignorant of part of the point of your own t-shirt, so in general I think if you're going to adopt any sort of art it's not a bad idea to at least understand any meaning that the artist put into the work, as well as your own interpretations.

tunkamerica

The ocean is a desert with it's life underground.....

-Horse with no name; America

Robsoul
Robsoul profile pic Alumni

The Germans are coming!

(they're German gals)

No account?
Join Us