Close
One second...

Misplaced Divinity

• by Rockslide
  • posted Jan 08, 2008
  • 180 Comments

Revolution, something weird and artsy, forget how it votes.

I really tried to take the revolution contest instructions to heart when I was designing this piece. A revolution for me was stepping away from the funny/punny mainstream jokes crafted for voters to place 5's on. Stepping away from something everyone would get.

The result was something very personal, something I would get even if no one else did. This design is meant to be a visual poem and statement on so many things important to me. Like a poem, its free to individual interpretation. I'ld love to hear what you see.

Over-size print on slate using simulated process. It can be shrunk down if necessary and alternate versions are available.

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
Rockslide
Rockslide profile pic Alumni

Revolution, something weird and artsy, forget how it votes.

I really tried to take the revolution contest instructions to heart when I was designing this piece. A revolution for me was stepping away from the funny/punny mainstream jokes crafted for voters to place 5's on. Stepping away from something everyone would get.

The result was something very personal, something I would get even if no one else did. This design is meant to be a visual poem and statement on so many things important to me. Like a poem, its free to individual interpretation. I'ld love to hear what you see.

Over-size print on slate using simulated process. It can be shrunk down if necessary and alternate versions are available.

Raphe10

wiiierdd, coool, 5

dacat
dacat profile pic Alumni

SICK!!!! I love it, hits Watch this button....$5

aled
aled profile pic Alumni

:-O

Amazing illustration. $

Peppermont

This is phenomenally intense. I could tell it was a revolution sub. Wow.

Rockslide

Here's the link to the large other versions! Thanks so far!Enjoy!

noponies
noponies profile pic Alumni

coolness

kooky love
kooky love profile pic Alumni

GREAT $5

t-thyme

whoa. My mind is blown and I'm left speechless. all color options look intense. $5

danrule
danrule profile pic Alumni

solid

Robsoul
Robsoul profile pic Alumni

NEGA-VERSE VERSION pz!!!!!

5ved and buyed.

mikofierro

Very welll done!!! Your drawing skills are great!!! indeed you rdesign is a revolution!!! $5!!!

Craigory

You definitely put the "forget what sells" to the test! bravo.

Mojie

That is incredibly cool. I love the anti-color one, but the others are fantastic, too. :)

pilihp
pilihp profile pic Alumni

very cool rocky!

Aristarchus
Aristarchus profile pic Alumni

Lose the text.

huebucket
huebucket profile pic Alumni

Amazing you!!! $

Kogepan

Holy crap. I'm not sure if I'd buy this or not, but this is amazing. Maybe the negaverse one. 5 at least.

wallywest101

Isnt this to many colors?

APOCALYPSE MEOW

waaaaa...great diversion from the norm!

Keter

That's the weirdest thing I've seen in a long time, and awesomely well done. 5.

Rockslide

whoa- thanks a ton everyone! I really wasn't sure how this would play on threadless.

Flash (wallywest101) this would use the simulated process method which could reduce it to CMYK+underlay bleach= 5 screens. For higher quality it could add more specific tones too. 8 screens would be plenty and within the color limit.

slaterock
slaterock profile pic Alumni

holy crap. holey crap. $5. $5.

ecky_ducky

Whoa. Whoa. Whoa.

Andreas Mohacsy
Andreas Mohacsy profile pic Alumni

so much skillzzz... not sure i want to where the budge smuggler around on my chest, but HOT design!

KDLIG
KDLIG profile pic Alumni

OMG! this is awsome 5$

xAlejandro

So I have no idea what any of this is supposed to mean, but I love it. The original and the Nega-verse are both completely hardcore.

Not sure I'd buy it, but it definitely merits a solid 5.

farflung
farflung profile pic Alumni

whoa!

fat pigeon
fat pigeon profile pic Alumni

This is awesome. I absolutely love it. Great art.

empiricist
empiricist profile pic Alumni

Prodigious $5

hasbadtaste

hating the black one, loving the other two!

heyheyitsme

incredible illustration!!!!!

Monkey III
Monkey III profile pic Alumni

I choose the NAGGER-version!!!

cshimala
cshimala profile pic Staff
1 design submitted -

intense!

ir0cko
ir0cko profile pic Alumni

awesome! $5

d3d
d3d profile pic Alumni

that's pretty rad. i love the exploded left leg.

jimmytan
jimmytan profile pic Alumni

WOW!! SUPER $555

stopper111

Wow. I have a swirl of interpretation in my head and I'll need a minute to sort it all out. $5

FRICKINAWESOME
FRICKINAWESOME profile pic Alumni

gah!!!!!!!!!!!!!! incredible competition on this contest!

suceda

wow, pretty intense stuff!

stopper111

Ok here we go... I figured I'd provided my personal interpretation since no one stepped up yet. In short, this shirt MUST go to print and I absolutely MUST have it. $5. Sorry about the length ahead of time, my mind doesn't operate in succinct pieces.

We are a unique and complex consequence of time, both deeply flawed AND flawless, both structured AND chaotic, both diffuse AND driven, both free AND bound. I use 'And'. Not but, yet or...or. We can find this amazing duality in every single being and ask where do we come from, or still, what are we even made of? We know one of history's tales that never stray far from the mind; Eden, the snake and the apple. The snake tempts but there were still always two choices. Well, we know how that one turned out. But remember, that’s just a tale, a lesson for our mind. Who we really are, what defines us, could never be so simple. Sometimes it becomes overwhelming and consumes our thoughts, making true insight harder to grasp...and true vision so obtuse, that one may wonder whether we are even able to see, in a much grander, more real sense than with just our eyes, of course. For what are our eyes but only a small part of us that can only show us what limited input they can absorb? Our truest vision comes from our most valuable asset: our mind. Our mind connects our miles of organic material into the most remarkable force in the universe: consciousness. But with consciousness come questions, unanswered questions, and the need for a place in the universe, a purpose. So our minds try to wrap themselves around accepting our frailty and our perceived cosmic insignificance, each finding their own morals and beliefs in the vastness of space, wherever they can, from whatever pool of divinity they see fit, be it from intangible plains or from within. One human constant though, one truth to level the playing field, is the evasiveness of the Absolute. No one can lay claim to absolute truth and thus we are reminded that we are all are equally human again. But I digress. Of course, where would our mind be without our heart? We give the brain credit for our thoughts, but have been enamored by our hearts seeming will for centuries, often pitting their wills against each other, as if the whole of us were not strong enough to control the conflicts amongst our constituents. Too often are we forced (or force ourselves?) to weigh our wants against our needs, a personal battle that seems to carry on in perpetuity. But such driving forces can and do cause us much pain. We must be careful not to let our struggles overcome us, for they will break apart our inner balance and strength. It is possible to liberate ourselves from these tribulations if we can just connect with our entire selves. See, these everyday preoccupations tend to separate us from the inescapable but beautiful truth. We are but flesh and bone, skin and fat, organic matter hardly different than the clouds in the sky. We are not only a product of nature, but a part of nature itself. We are made from the same particles, the same cosmic seeds, as everything around us. It is this revelation, so difficult to wholly embrace in modern society, that can reconnection us with peace and balance. For with the revelation, we must accept that nothing is permanent and that our brief foray with consciousness (with every emotion, every experience, every memory) is just that: brief. Our personal tree can be "cut down" at any moment. This is not to be discouraging however, because behind it all, behind every bit of truth marked in stone and every question still unanswered, the gears of time will continue to inexorably turn, our universe pressing on. To what, it matters little doesn't it? Because you were here, you lived. And sometimes the unanswered is just as, and even more beautiful than the answers.

The Paper Crane
The Paper Crane profile pic Alumni
2 designs submitted - Score now!

I wouldn't personally wear it but amazing work!

gumbolimbo
gumbolimbo profile pic Alumni

Kudos for doing something daringly different!

helo

I think you've tapped into the spirit of the REVOLUTION contest very well.

I like the dark design the most.

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
No account?
Join Us