Go Tell it on the Mountain

• by DaveSmith
  • posted Dec 05, 2007
  • 37 Comments

James Baldwin. Acclaimed writer and civil rights activist. Read 'Go tell it on the mountain' (a collection of his short stories). I recently saw a documentary about him, 'Ticket to Ride', and then went out and read GTIOTM. Dude was badass.

'...they gonna burn your house down' is his most famous quote.

Watch this
DaveSmith

James Baldwin. Acclaimed writer and civil rights activist. Read 'Go tell it on the mountain' (a collection of his short stories). I recently saw a documentary about him, 'Ticket to Ride', and then went out and read GTIOTM. Dude was badass.
'...they gonna burn your house down' is his most famous quote.

City_BoiCountry_Slang

Cool Design. I like how you got inspired to create this art. $5

DaveSmith

thanks.
Hmmm. now that i think about it. Who would buy this? I mean, yeah, i would. Fans of his writing would. But would it reach that target demographic through a site like Threadless?
Hmmm.

djsmeejay

I like the yellow one

krista5092

very nice rendering of the faces, feels passionate

and by seeing it on this site, i'm sure a lot of people now know about him, i know i do.

advocatus diaboli

You know what? I haven't heard of James Baldwin. But now, after seeing this awesome shirt design, I want to go read everything he's written. And then buy the shirt. $5

Aristarchus
Aristarchus profile pic Alumni

Right on! I've been wanting a Yaphet Koto t-shirt!

iDanSimpson

this would look just fine one white.

Bio-bot 9000
Bio-bot 9000 profile pic Alumni

Was james baldwin the one in Backdraft, or the one in BioDome? so many Baldwins.

DaveSmith

Yeah there are alot of baldwins. And they all seem to be actors.
If they ever make a feature film about this James Baldwin though I hope they use Sidney Poitier.

DaveSmith

Even is Sidney Poitier isnt alive anymore. Just prop up his corpse. And a have a guy in blatant falsetto saying all his lines from off screen.

pokemon

jeeeesus.

please print this shirt... my lady loves baldwin

loveaslaughter

Can't say I know about the subject. But, the design and inspiration behind it are great.

papersky06

beautiful design, i don't really know much about him, but i love what you've made.

oyster_press17

I like it on yellow or blue.
This is really good, but I don't know much about him either.

afdx

My hands down favorite design on the whole site. Love it. Baldwin hasn't finished talking yet. He'd have words for some of y'all, right here.

DJ Tempora

Fantastic design.

From my own perspective, I'd love to see the white taken out of the background of the speech balloon and just used within the letters. Aside from that, $5 here.

heyjohnnyfive

it's a bit big on the shirt, but I like it.

Savage Companion

YES. I saw this in critique and loved it. Best design on a tee shirt ever.

Chipmnk

Ooo, wonderful design.

loganxman

meh who cares who he is I"d buy it just because it's a well made design with a strange but entertaining quote gj 5$

unparalleled

still really really really hoping for this to win, its seriously epic and amazing...

pokemon

i'm just sitting and waiting, cause this would be the best christmas gift ever

orwell

DaveSmith on Dec 13 '07

i'm pretty sure Sidney Poitier is alive still

Penalva

Nice work. Perfectly type.

dannybot

The art rocks, man......I don't know a thing about this guy, but I think it's random enough to work.

MILFtasic

I want to own this shirt. Period. I believe the design is awesome enough to make others want to know who James Baldwin is, and that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. It's awesomely perfect.

jancola

I don't know James Baldwin or the quote, but your description is great and the design is bad ass.

DaveSmith

Thanks everybody :D
If you all really like the design than its availabe as a print on my Deviantart Prints account.

http://www.deviantart.com/print/2266976/

And if it doesnt print here and you really want it on a shirt i can throw it on my Cafepress account as a tshirt. (the max printing area is 10"x10" centered over the chest though. So thats as big as it would be)

Cafepress.com/pleasebelieve

Savage Companion

Ugh I'm disgusted...fuck threadless. davesmith send me a print of this.

MILFtasic

Thats too bad. I can't believe it scored so low.
I hate stupid people.

WackoJacko45

please re-submit this shirt!!!!!!!!!! IT IS INCREDIBLE!!!

von Vismal

New to Threadless... can not BELIEVE this didn't get through. This is an AMAZING design. Love it, and love the tribute to him, and all of you who said you weren't familiar with him should check him out. Great writer, great writing.

No account?
Join Us