Alas, a Misnomer

• by stephanvs
  • posted Nov 26, 2007
  • 28 Comments

Love the design, but as a self-respecting student of Latin I cannot purchase a garment which fails to recognize the accusative ending of the feminine, singular, third declension noun, nox, noctis. If the shirt were titled Ad Noctem, I would not hesitate to drop $10.

Watch this
shirtflirt

you sir have won todays drawing of
who has a stick shoved up their arse.

bl0gs.

isn't there another shirt with this problem?

WhitneyBeth
WhitneyBeth profile pic Alumni

but does it really matter? the title isn't on the shirt... and it's a damned awesome design.

farflung
farflung profile pic Alumni

a lesson for all, perhaps. dead languages are dead.

ISABOA
ISABOA profile pic Alumni

Wait - It is Neuter - thus UM -

anonymushroom

No, I completely agree. It's like buying something with a missing apostrophe...or, worse, EXTRA apostrophes. shudders
Some things are just so irritating, you will never be able to just enjoy the design.

ISABOA

yeah - YOUR WRONG!!!!

you self - respecting latin SUCKAH CHUMP!

ISABOA

AD NOCTUM

AD NOCTUM

g-regulate
g-regulate profile pic Alumni

i just bought this. and no pedant is gonna stop me from enjoying it.
:D

ISABOA

OK - it is not neuter - But you are still wrong

it is the Genitive plural case ending representing the objective genitive denoting the object or activity implied by the noun - in a non ecclesial fashion - so for a pure translator, It would be easy to say immediately jump to the accusative - but the genitive darling the genitive -

mca21stcen

No, because nox is an i-stem.

The genitive plural is noctium.

And, even if it WAS genitive, it would be wrong coming after ad, because ad only takes accusative (to my knowledge... I am only in Latin III).

However... I would still definitely buy this shirt. :D So awesome!

ISABOA

haha-

maybe in this case it is an amalgamation of neuter imposition, genitive complication and scottish inflection

spottedquoll

But what does it mean??? "At night"?
And anyway, with art, you can do whatever you bloody well please... it's called artistic license.
Thirdly, ISABOA - is your missing apostrophe and e an intentional ploy to create irony? Or simply showing the fact that you spend too much time learning latin to worry about English... lol
Fourthly, I am going to shut up!

LittleMissWho

stephanvs, you are a latin dork.
but...
te amo!

the shirt bugged me as well.

Edword
Edword profile pic Alumni

Hey guys it's me, the dude that made this. I had a blog contest to name the design and picked this one I don't know Latin, but I looked it up online and found several references to it.

The one that made me choose the name was a reference from, believe it or not X-files

Muller - "the Latin words "ad noctum," which translated to "into darkness," are known to have been carved by the Spanish conquistadors into poles to which they lashed their native captives."

Muller is a smart guy, so I took his word for it.

It just seemed right when I read that and the shirt had a kind of x-files feel.

Sorry if the name bugs you.

renfrue
renfrue profile pic Alumni

Mulder?

Edword
Edword profile pic Alumni

yeah that guy.

mca21stcen

Again... regardless of bad Latin and mistaken X-files writers... still an awesome shirt.

Lilitou

I am so in love with all the language geekery occurring in these comments.

N2O

Just ordered mine! Great job on the print!

creampie

Sorry but the title is representative of Latin Ebonics.

KaylaFOZB

haha, I am smart and stuff and I'm gonna prove it...

robziggy00

I support the grammar nazi-ing here.

mca21stcen

BEST SCENE IN THE HISTORY OF MOVIES EVER.

No account?
Join Us