Soap Box Derby

• by squid inc
  • posted Nov 22, 2007
  • 22 Comments

Concentrating on the "Soap Box" of Soap Box Derby I developed this design which has a "Dove®" as the pilot. Instead of motion lines behind the box illustrating how fast it was going, I thought it would be better to use soap bubbles.

Any thoughts? Please keep it "clean."

Watch this
squid inc
squid inc profile pic Alumni

Concentrating on the "Soap Box" of Soap Box Derby I developed this design which has a "Dove®" as the pilot. Instead of motion lines behind the box illustrating how fast it was going, I thought it would be better to use soap bubbles.

Any thoughts? Please keep it "clean."

hottielebottie

what a brilliant idea! maybe the bubbles could have a contrasting color, unless of course you've reach the limit. 5

whiteman1746

im pretty sure that that's copyright infringement.

you can't use dove.

theangeli

I agree - I'd replace it with "soap" in a style that matches your drawing. Skip the computer font. It looks a little off in style and spacing. Love the idea and your drawing. $5 with a new soap brand :)

squid inc

I thought about it too and am not too sure about the copyright. You are not suppose to be able to copyright everyday words such as dog, cat, or dove. As long as I don't use their logo, I think it should be fine. besides it's a dove driving the box, it would not be as funny if i didn't use it.

Only other thought, if i am wrong about the copyright, would be to have it be sparrow soap, a blatant ripoff of dove. ha!

We'll see, if this were to get selected, i am sure it would be all figured out.

squid inc

I guess I could always take the "dove" words off and just have it be the illustration of the dove. Still would work, just a little more discreet.

Zak_aeon

Hell, i would just forget about the whole 'dove' thing and have a small cartoon 1920s racing driver character driving the thing.
But thats just me!

cottoneyelizzer

I agree with zak.. the art is awesome.. I didn't realize it was a dove driving til I read that in the comments... its everything else about this design that sells it for me, the dove is expendable.

nikolina100

hee hee - this is wicked cute!! great job :D

Rajiara

it could still say "soap" and make sense with a dove :) I would like it better that way anyway.

nadienne

change "dove" to "duve".... as long as the e is an "e" and not an "é", (that's "duvé"... a blanket, hehe)... iunno, randomish thought...

LCA_photos

Just wanted to post a comment about the DESIGN. This is adorable, absolutely genius down to all the details. Am staying out of the Dove/copyright issue, is not my area. The shirt and the design are perfect, though. :)

. c h o u

haha, I like nadienne's idea :]

I love the design 8D

silverstar8403

I agree with pylms. If you can't use Dove, just have the car say "Soap." Then the joke is still there. ALso, I love the bubbles!

uberbonesaw

I get the joke, but I wouldn't have a dove as the driver. Otherwise, I like this a lot.

squid inc

I can get rid of the word dove... but why get rid of the actual dove. If you get the joke, then why would you want to get rid of the dove?

I'm keeping the illustration of the dove. Thank you.

Merzi

I think this is so creative! I hope you can use the Dove for the soap brand! Even if you couldn't maybe it could be a subtle pun! great job!

Nergs

But its a pun. How many times do you see something with Mario or PacMan printed? Its a great as it is. Ignore them.

Fourcolours

FYI -- using the Dove name alone probably wouldn't get you into copyright trouble (trademark, perhaps, but probably not copyright). You can't copyright a name (not even a product name). The problem you're going to run into with copyright is that you use both the Dove name AND their font. That's copyrightable.

LCA_photos

SO, keep Dove, change the font, and you're golden? YAY.

Fourcolours

Well, there still may be trademark issues, but you're certainly on much surer footing if you change the font.

psuedopotamus

I think it's cute and would be just as cute if it said "soap" instead of "dove" I'm pretty sure there are copyright restrictions, but I'm not positive. you should look into that. either way it's a cute design.

No account?
Join Us