Haha, emo.

• by phyntosia
  • posted Sep 10, 2007
  • 34 Comments

Too emo for me to ever even consider wearing. But it is a cool design.

Although I understand it's a lyric from a band I've never heard of, and therefore OK since it's a reference and a tribute rather than just whining.

But still, out of context, too emo.

Watch this
mezo
mezo profile pic Alumni
What a stupid adjective.
Bramishxxx
Bramishxxx profile pic Alumni
How old are you? You've never heard of Joy Division?
phyntosia
Oh! I do get it now. :) Having seen the album cover, that makes so much more sense - that's really cool, thanks Pulp and fatheed. And I'm 23, but I'm guessing the fact that I don't live in the US might have something to do with never having heard of them before....
T tees
trippy
jNINE
erm... but they aren't even from the US phyntosia.. they are from Manchester in the UK and were the precursor to the formation of the band New Order
Ulrikke
I'm 17, live in Norway. But I've surely heard of Joy Divison! :P
haha someone says she doesn't know joy division and all the indie snobs come and treat her like she's in kindergarten. i'm 14 and i understood the shirt, but who's counting
mr.yeti
If I could hum in text form, I'd hum the tune for you. Really, you've heard it before. Maybe you've seen Donnie Darko? (For some reason, I can't think of any other major movies this plays in) Or heard any radio station that plays a vaguely diverse set of music from the 80s? Not to be a total jerk, but this is a pretty well known song, world-wide.
shutyourface
i love when people get pwnd by their own blog :D
pincushion
mr yeti, you're thinking of INXS. INXS is not Joy Division. so, uh, yeah. wrong.
pincushion
nevermind! hahahahaha
mr.yeti
I love you all. Really, I do. I have my arms out in a huge embracing motion, as if to enclose the world, and you all inside of it. I am full of love (and wine, but mostly love). The shirt is nice, though it is too personal (and I'm really not torn by love, just warmed) - perhaps a cheeky re-phrase, instead of idol worship / tribute would have been nice. All the same, cheers on the crafting of the design!
mr.yeti
Oh, and linkee for the soundtrack - I don't twitter at you so much now pincushion =)
numby
Hope this emo stuff whatever it is dies soon so young people stop lump'n old indie/alternative/punk with it.
superjonelle
the problem is that in this situation, as with most, emo describes the fashion, not the music. this is unfortunately a phrase you would find on a tshirt in the emo section at hot topic. ...just because it has love in the title and is depressing. i thought black things that were depressing were goth. people will wear this shirt to compliment their emo-style. and people will wear this to show off their hipster-style. such is life. i like it. won't buy it though. i like the idea but i think it could have been executed better. less words. perhaps spelling love from top to bottom torn down the middle
Bramishxxx
Bramishxxx profile pic Alumni
haha someone says she doesn't know joy division and all the indie snobs come and treat her like she's in kindergarten. i'm 14 and i understood the shirt, but who's counting I wasn't. I was just surprised is all.
squatterjohn
I guess this comes down to whether or not you get off on walking down the street having everybody think you're emo, while smugly knowing you're a million times smarter than them for knowing what it is really all about. Sure a hipster could wear this the night he and his hipster friends don't go to the Interpol concert, and they'd all have a good laugh, but mostly, people would think you're emo. Nowadays, sad phrase on black shirt = emo.
tinki
shuuuusshhhh o_O it's a shirt. do you honestly think people will assume you're emo, because of a shirt? plus, emo isn't a style. it's a genre ;P oh and yayy ^_^ i had to say, fall out boy redid the joy division song c: wheeee!
JOSEPHWILLIAMDESIGN
please dont call joy division emo, biggest insult to british music ever, jeez!
depoliticize
no one does it better than ian.
lanis
i'm 17 from Australia and i think that this shirt is awesome and cleaver and i have also heard of and enjoyed greatly Joy Division. Awesome tee.
lanis
*clever
squatterjohn
It's never just a shirt. I think a lot of peoples' first reaction to the shirt was "emo" and it won't be much different in real life. Of course you have to take anything in context. Here, we have a shirt in isolation so don't consider a whole outfit or the wearer. On a kid with tight black jeans and Parker at the Disco hair people would think emo. On a person with normal jeans and hair, they obviously wouldn't.
tinki
loserbeech-yesh dah why else would i comment on this tshirt about it, lols! gaah i don't know, i think i like both the same ^_^ well maybe the job division one just a little better, seeing as its the original and all c: fatheed-shuuhh, like, right now :D labels are for soup cans. kthankxbai
tesco
tesco profile pic Alumni
Negativity alert: I never liked this song. It just... sounds... crap? I dont understand the worship!
jordanbeard
If I was wearing this shirt, I wouldn't want to meet anyone who would call it "emo", I'd only be interested in the people who get the Joy Division reference
phyntosia
So now the only people worth knowing are those who've heard of Joy Division? That makes me feel so warm and special :P