Close
One second...

sina.com question

If I receive an email from somebody with a sina.com address, and they say their from a magazine, can that be trusted? Or is sina.com simply a webhosting address that provides free email addresses like yahoo or gmail?

Watch this
squintygirl

According to their website, SINA is China's leading online media company. It's possible that the person who contacted you works from a magazine owned/published by SINA. I'd ask for a web address of the magazine or a contact number directly from the magazine to verify if this person is legit or not.

valorandvellum
valorandvellum profile pic Alumni

Yeah, I asked them to have one of the people with a magazine address to contact me just to verify. It hasn't happened yet, so I don't know if people would somehow acquire the a sina.com address, but be running a cheap-o shirt company or something.

squintygirl

I think that regular schmoes can get a SINA account. If this person is legit, you shouldn't have any trouble getting verification from the magazine itself. If that still hasn't happened, I smell something dodgy.

valorandvellum

Yeah, squintygirl, that's what I was wondering. I wasn't sure how easy it is to get a sina.com address. If it IS easy, then something suspicious could be going on for sure.

The last thing I was is for them to ask for high res versions of my designs and then start producing cheap-o shirts in some sweatshop with 3 year old workers.

Torakamikaze
Torakamikaze profile pic Alumni

i had to spell it right to get the google image

way to ruin my beautifully crafted joke.

You're so getting beat up

pyr4lis
pyr4lis profile pic Alumni

hrm... I don't know much about sina.com. Well pretty much nothing really but I do recall working with a particular factory in asia (I havn't worked with them in probably 4 yrs now) and I think I recall either the factory or the person I worked with had a email that had .sina in it (although it is entirely possible that it was something very similar to .sina... after all it has been more than 4 yrs)

pyr4lis
pyr4lis profile pic Alumni

But Computer Arts magazine is a totally legitamate mag. I pay out the wahzoo to get issues of them here in the US since the magazine is an import from the UK. I'm not familiar with an asian counterpart of the mag though (I saw the links in one of your previous posts)

anonymoose

Sina's a bit like Yahoo in that it's a media portal website. Anyone can sign up for a sina address (my cousin in HK has one). I think they're not straight sina.com addresses but things like mysinamail.com, but I could be wrong. Or this could be an older e-mail account.... It's probably safer to double check with the magazine address.

valorandvellum

Oh, thanks for the info, anonymoose! That's what I was wondering. It makes the whole thing seem a little more suspicious.

No account?