Close
One second...

I don't get it.

It's gorgeous but I don't see where the failure comes in? Is the lady supposed to be a particular person that if I knew who it was, it would make sense?

Watch this
Vindemiatrix

I'm intrigued as well.

chelly

you don't need to know
make up your own

croox

oh great so now art is all about how you see it?

the artist needs to try and get across a message, darnit. not just entertain.

and with a title like that, i'd expect something cool.

jmo9000

"I don't get it. I don't get it. " Haha, whenever I hear "I don't get it" it makes me think of the movie Big with Tom Hanks. "You don't go into a board meeting and say BUGS!"

proque007

makes no sense to me...

bertypoo

i think its beautiful regardless

mezo
mezo profile pic Alumni

*prolonged sigh

icebar

definitely beautiful.. i don't care what it's called...

Caralou

art is about how you see it. its rare that you see it exactly how the artist did.

Mike4507

Does it really matter?

Every week countless posts like this come up. And usually there's something behind them but this is just good art. Who cares about the title?

He can call it whatever he wants. It doesn't have to do with the image and it's not like the title is incorporated in the art. He could've just had garden and thought "Hmm I need another word on there but I can't think of anything" and his friend yells across the room "You can't think of anything? You're a failure!" and there you go. A shirt title.

mezo
mezo profile pic Alumni

It's pretty ironic that you can't find a meaning for yourself, addicted2jesus. Imagine the woman figure being Eve. She is clearly draped in clothing, covering her naked flesh. What was once the Garden of Eden could have become a Garden of Failure when Eve became ashamed of her naked flesh.

That is one interpretation. You can use it if you want.

valorandvellum
valorandvellum profile pic Alumni

I don't get YOUR MOM.

YOUR MOM GOES TO COLLEGE.

shirtflirt

maybe it's a tribute

pyr4lis
pyr4lis profile pic Alumni

Well I don't care what the name is or if there is meaning behind it. I loved Valor's explanation of what her meaning was but every design has to have a meaning behind it. I'll probably buy it anyways because it is so pretty. I only wish there was a product picture of a girl wearing the tee so I can see the size & placement since it doesn't always match the guys tees.

pyr4lis
pyr4lis profile pic Alumni

well I ment to say NOT every design
:P sorry

BrewHaHa

this shirt really hits me as gaudy.

Themilkman666

The girl is just asking a question, god if anything goes against threadless now a days people attack.

I don't really get it either but it's still nice.

gloriana232

As long as it's pretty, that's all anyone cares?

Oof, I think that's the entire world's roster of dead artists, art historians turning over in their graves.

Isn't it insulting to an artist to say "does the title even matter"? Many artists -- not all -- put a lot of effort into imbuing every element of their work with some kind of meaning or significance. Lots of artists invite questions and interpretations; for them, it's what art is about. Explaining their intent might not mean it takes precedent over the viewer's, but it might help shape responses and reactions.

Christ, ask questions! It's not the worst thing in the world..

FRICKINAWESOME
FRICKINAWESOME profile pic Alumni

Themilkman666 on Jul 23 '07 at 3:27pm
The girl is just asking a question, god if anything goes against threadless now a days people attack.

I don't really get it either but it's still nice.

I think we're all just a bit tired of people not knowing what most people know by the time they are into their teens...art is what you make of it. I think the name is peculiar too, but there might be as little thought put into other than it was something to conflict the beauty of the tee, it might be because of what Mezo interpreted it as, or it might be called that because the artist who designed it is allergic to flowers. We might not know, and that's OK by me. The best art isn't spoon-fed to you but leaves it open for your to do some of the work, and by doing so, makes you part of the process.

rumblerob

Mary, Mary, quite contrary,
How does your garden grow?

[my first thoughts]

Verdana

"oh great so now art is all about how you see it?"

Hahahahahah

anaeromyxo

Is there a difference between 'art' and 'design'? How much of threadless is 'art' and how much is 'design'? What's the meaning behind the shape of a Coke bottle? What does it mean to you? What's it supposed to mean? If a child watches a Disney movie and doesn't notice that the castle spires are shaped like penises, do they make a sound?

rain_cloud

I think it's great how no one is actually addressing the issue at hand, which is what the image is suppose to represent relative to the title. Mostly I am hearing things like 'why does there have to be a meaning' and 'why are you asking such a stupid question.'

Why do so many bloggers assume that every piece of art on Threadless is post-modern (meaning is subjective)? And why do so many bloggers interpret the curiosity for the meaning as a negative criticism of the shirt? addicted2jesusgirl is not trying to say that the design is bad, but the backlash makes it seems as though she had just plainly said 'this shirt sucks.'

Just because the meaning is not important to you does not mean that the meaning is not important to other people; I am just as intrigued as addicted2jesusgirl and Vindemiatrix. I consider an inquiry for the meaning as a request to further understand and appreciate the art beyond just what is seen.

If the artist has already stated that he/she does not want the meaning to be revealed, or that the meaning is subjective, then what everyone said here makes perfect sense. My question: Is anyone here SPEAKING FOR KEITH CARTER?

If the meaning is not important to you, what you should be doing is to avoid clicking on topics like this.

rain_cloud

I just checked the other blog regarding the shirt title and meaning. Yes, the artist does intend for the meaning to be subjective.

This does not invalidate my post, however. I am speaking for these kinds of postings in general.

OnCleSAm

^I fully agree and I'm tired of people who thinks that being subjective is the only way to go with any kind of graphical art. (wha?)

Does it really matter?

That's just a goddamn stupid answer to throw away when you don't know a single thing of what you're saying.

What all of you (who think the same) will do from now on is to not click on these kind of topics, BUY more tees and BE happy in your ignorance or be happy in your own interpretation of the aforesaid art (which is all good either way).

ALRIGHT!?
Good.
Topic closed.

jayensee

todiefor, I want that cactus on a tshirt!

Mike4507

The reason why we're getting tired of "I don't get it" blogs is because most of the designs they're about are subjective or just completely random.

Which means everyone will have a different answer. So think for yourself and come up with something. That's what art is for. Even if there is a specific meaning. It still depends on how you view it.

OnCleSAm

Yes, maybe, but what people are trying to do, is to know what was the meaning behind the title/composition/etc if there was any...

That said, sometimes there are none or the meaning is simply hidden from us (like in this case), but please, let the artist answer himself if it's the case.

You say art is meant to be viewed differently from every person, that's you're opinion. But it doesn't take away the desire for some people to know what the artist was thinking when he came up with this idea. And you know why? Because it makes some people appreciate more the composition and the tee they might buy. As simple as that.

I just don't get why people would think there's no meaning behind a title if you don't get it in the first place.

Let people be.

OnCleSAm

The reason why we're getting tired of "I don't get it" blogs is because most of the designs they're about are subjective or just completely random.

You seem to know what you're talking about... I wonder where you came up with this idea.

Vindemiatrix

But this, being the first blog about this subject, was not commenting on a design that had already been established as subjective. Yes, the title's subjective, but look at what's she actually asking: is this a picture of someone who represents failure?

And what if it was? What if it was the face of, for example, an actress who died young and was buried in a rose garden, or something? Buying it and making up your own meaning would be fine until you run into a film buff who goes "So you're a fan of __?" or "How dare you trivialise the death of _!" or whatever. Asking if this was a picture of someone who might be recognised by other people was a perfectly valid question. It's not the same as posting a blog that just says "I don't get it, what does it mean?" - it was asking a valid question. And I don't even think there's much wrong with posting an "I don't get it, can someone tell me what this is referencing?" blog so long as there aren't a load of existing ones that already cover it. Take this one about Mother Knows Best - blogger didn't understand the reference, asked, got friendly and informative replies (and some joke ones), lots of people are who didn't get it are grateful and gain a new appreciation for the design. I really don't see why people on this blog (and similar) get so uppity when someone asks a question about a design. Yes, you can make up your own meaning, but if there's another intended one that other people are going to pick up on, should you really wear it on your shirt without knowing what it means? Fine if there ISN'T a meaning, but there's no harm in asking.

b_lou

That's soo simple! And meaningful!

The girl on the shirt was the artist's number one crush since forever. She thought of him as a pure and aesthetical friend, with the best of intentions, but the truth is that he is really shy and never managed to know her intimate garden.

That's what it's all about... a homage to platonic love or not being able to score the one you really want!

torra

Jeebus people, there's nothing wrong with wondering if this girl is someone in particular or not. You shouldn't use a word if you don't know what it means, and likewise you shouldn't wear a shirt of someone if you don't know who it is. If someone asks you who is on your shirt, as it is rather likely, how stupid would you sound saying "I don't know."

It was a simple question, there's no need to go into the 'freedom of art and expression' which in this case means 'I have no fucking clue what it means.'

torra
  • Also nearly all threadless shirts have meaning behind them, it's natural to wonder if you're missing something. If you're "sick of these posts" then don't click on any post title related to "What does it mean?" "Title?" "Am I missing something?" "What is it?" and the most obviously of all, "I don't get it."

Duh.
keithmore
keithmore profile pic Alumni

For anyone who requested a description about the meaning I see in this shirt, I just added a more detailed explanation at the bottom of the blog on my profile.

Keith

addicted2jesusgirl

Goodness! I stirred up some rattlesnakes, didn't I?

Thank you to all who understood where I was coming from, and for those who only ASSUMED they did, I posted a comment on Keith's blog that may clear things up.

chelly

I just don't get why people would think there's no meaning behind a title if you don't get it in the first place.

they aren't saying that there is "NO MEANING" to it, but that it is better to form your own idea of the interpretation first. the way it was presented in the original post is "tell me what it means" which is a bit lazy. if a person wants to learn more, fine, but there's no reason to get pissed off about either stance in this blog.

OnCleSAm

Actually, they are. Read carefully.

Plus, what makes you think someone asking for the meaning of the title or the tee in general didn't think about it before?

"If a person wants to learn more, fine"
Haha, I hope it's fine by you! And in my mind, it doesn't make people lazy or whatever you can call them ;)

Btw, nobody's pissed... it's an online blog about some tees...

Yourhero

Yeah I have a big problem with the snobs on this site who get so agitated when someone says they don't get a design. Especially an obscure one such as this.

Don't be a douche, just enlighten them, and then we won't have a huge blog of arguments.

As far as art having a relevant title, it's a tee shirt, so one would hope that it had some coherent theme.

OnCleSAm

Hey, thanks for your input Laura. It's so refreshing.

xprivate_eyex

SOMEBODY GET KEITH IN HERE BEFORE THE WHOLE BUILDING EXPLODES!!1

Poorlittleneeche

Just from reading earlier comments...

Aside from the numerous joke artists trying to blow the minds of fellow threadles users with their prententious and unconvincing notions of "the nature of art," I would like to LOL at one in particular.

"It's pretty ironic that you can't find a meaning for yourself, addicted2jesus. Imagine the woman figure being Eve. She is clearly draped in clothing, covering her naked flesh. What was once the Garden of Eden could have become a Garden of Failure when Eve became ashamed of her naked flesh.

That is one interpretation. You can use it if you want."

LOLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, WHAT A JOKER!

cimorenegal

Maybe the failure is that no one gets it?

KHowe101

"Maybe the failure is that no one gets it?"

I like that. And I have to agree that the community is becoming a batch of snobs. Part of the value of having a blogging community that revolves around something like the design of casual wear is that you get the opportunity to discuss what you find on the site with others. That would include asking for some insight if you don't understand a design. And I agree with torra, most designs have a joke or meaning that can mean the difference between enjoying the shirt and it being just another random graphic. I think that we are all fans of this site because we can find wares that are far more than just random graphics.

BTW... thank you Keith for saving the day on this one. Some of these blogs are getting a little vicious.

thatchick

if someone says they don't get it, why respond if you're not going to explain it? she's just making sure she's not missing something, it's not something to criticize. it's better than buying a shirt you don't get and walking around wearing it when it could have a real meaning to some people.

angharadeee

@thatchick: finally someone sees sense.

No account?