• by Feener
  • posted May 28, 2007
  • 16 Comments
Watch this
EZFL
EZFL profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

its not a rip off.

OMFG THIS SHIRT SORT OF LOOKS LIKE THAT SHIRT OMFG! ITS STOLEN!!!!

get over it.

kaloyster
kaloyster profile pic Alumni

YEAH THIS IS A RIPOFF! JEEZ.

HAPPY NOW?

CAN WE STOP NOW?

WHO'S NEXT TO POST NOW?

Ste7en
Ste7en profile pic Alumni

any time two people have a similar idea about things in pop culture and the designs look entirely different just mark it up to coincidence. Even if it isnt, it doesnt matter, because everyone is allowed to comment on pop culture as long as they make their version different enough.

stubby43

Its Olly Moss, I highly doubt it, plus this is fairly well designed the other tee is just words slapped on.

maija

Crap, I would have said coincidence, except that the same spoilers are in the same order.

Uh-oh.

maija

reads other thread

Very well then.

d3d
d3d profile pic Alumni

i always knew oliver had no ideas and no talent. threadless should recall all his prints and take away all his money.

OlliRudi
OlliRudi profile pic Alumni

haha, you tell 'em d3d

bulletsalvador

oliver use all your money so they can't take it back!!!!

lol

jamesjustin33

Even if it is indeed a "rip-off" as you say, it's a damn good one. Henry Ford ripped off his first car from Cadillac, but made it 100 times better. Oliver took the spoilers (oh, and the spoilers aren't really creative prose, since it's simply documenting something that a screenwriter already did) and used recognizable fonts representing each movie title, recognizable figures, and made a bunch of text into a work of art. I would chuckle at the TheaterHopper shirt, but never buy it. I bought this one the second I saw it, and I'm sporting it now.

So yeah, if you take something and improve the concept to create something new, then maybe you'll collect royalties from me, too.

Tom Brazelton

Hey, I'm the artist of the Theater Hopper shirts. I hate to keep coming back here and having to explain this, but if you want my side of the story you can read it here:

http://www.theaterhopper.com/index.php?date=20070523

For those of you slagging my design, be aware that it was a conscious decision not to include images as I didn't want to risk any copyright infringement. Olly has more to fear from LucasFilm for that Vader helmet in the upper left than he does from me.

Still, I applaud his use of type and don't deny that his shirt is the better design. Of course, that doesn't mean people have the right to take a dump on what I've done when they don't have the full story. Olly and I have talked. There are no hard feelings. Some of these posts are a misguided attempt to protect Olly when he doesn't need protecting.

aled
aled profile pic Alumni

Well said Tom. Very honourable.

No account?
Join Us