Close
One second...

PHLEASFOGGASAURUS

• by jsav
  • posted Mar 20, 2007
  • 29 Comments

A distorted reference to the book "Around the World in 80 Days"!

Watch this
jsav

A distorted reference to the book "Around the World in 80 Days"!

Andrew Geddes

Why can't I think of ideas this cool

Aghhhh, Now i've got the theme song to that old 'Around the World in 80 Days' cartoon stuck in my head.

joshhupp

This definitely needs work. It looks like it was made in MS Paint. The idea is sound, but the execution is really rough. Clean it up and maybe add some detail

jsav

Actually, I did make it in MS Paint...then traced it into vectors xD. That's what I was kind of going for since I'm not a highly skilled illustrator yet. But thanks for the feedback!

schleb

haha unintentional british t rex reference?

jsav

Wow...that's amazing...the second critique and I'm already unintentionally stealing others' ideas...

TheloniusMnk

Hey, nothing wrong with MS Paint. I have a graphic designer friend who could make a design in Paint that would blow your mind. All those extra toys and plugins in Photoshop aren't a requisite for a good design. In fact, they can become a crutch. Sorry for the rant, but I've seen to much MS Paint bashing on this site.

Anyhoo, the design isn't bad at all. It's far from professional, but has its own charm. It has a unique paper cut-out look to it, though it could use some fine-tuning. The shapes need more of a hard edge to them. By that I mean, using outlines to help define the shapes. In Coreldraw, the smart fill tool gives you the option of specifying an outline around the edge of your fill.

jsav

I think I will stick with the "MS Paint styling" on this design and add some harder edges to it. I'll try to post a V2 and a higher resolution version of just the illustration on my flickr account tomorrow morning. I really want this design to go through so I appreciate all the comments.

Mr. Gomez

LOL!!! This is so funny

Kojima
Kojima profile pic Alumni

the presentation is too crowded.

WalrusBoy

Screw them man, I love it :)

jsav

better presentation -.-

joshhupp

I wasn't bashing MS Paint as a viable tool, just saying that it looked choppy and crude, not in a good way. Hell, I was just guessing anyway. It could have been done that way in photoshop. Having said that, I definitely dig the second version. The outline is a good idea and fixing the mustache is superb. I agree with Kojima though. The presentation is too busy & crowded. I'd stick with a full zoom of the t-rex, pick only two colors of tees (since TL only prints on a max 2 color shirts), and push them off to the side only to show placement. People want to see your drawing. AND, you might consider adding a tail as a wraparound. I almost want to buy this now.

joshhupp

Aw damn, you went a took my critique while i was typing it. BRAVO!

TheloniusMnk

Looking better! Just one more thing on the outline: make the outline extend from his belly across to the area between his two legs. This will give the effect that his right leg (or the viewer's left) is behind his body. Also, one of his toes on the other foot is missing an outline and looks funny.

twells

You should fill in the white spot in the "e".

Tuppe

Looks cool but I don't dig the purple cane. Why don't make it brown like it was wooden? Also not a big fan of the shirt colors. Maybe something a little bit brighter.

jsav

Fixed the outline issues and color of the cane (less pimpish more british). I also tried some completely different and more colorful shirts.

TheloniusMnk

I think you should make the outline extend all the way across his leg up to to his belly. According to the perspective, his right leg would be completely behind his body. Looks much better! Beyond that one little outline thing, it looks like you're good to go in my book.

jsav

Thanks for all the help, I will be submitting shortly after I make some final revisions! =)

The Foo

this is amazing........ i would buy this.

Tuppe

Yay brown cane! I dig it on gold and pacific blue.

roundredhead

Fix the cane, it just looks so strange that the circiles around the eyes and watch are smooth but the cane is so sloppy. I get the simple childlike style and I love the concept, but the cane is just driving me nuts.

jsav

Yeah... so my comment on this one didn't go through..but the gist of it was that I WILL NOT REST UNTIL THIS ILLUSTRATION IS PERFECT!!! I've already submitted a version of this last illustration with a pointier cane but I'm doing this for everyone to enjoy so please lemme know if you see anything else. Let's make this beautiful!

TheloniusMnk

I think it looks pretty good. Simplistic, but with an original style, so it stands out to me among most of the other subs around here.

As long as you're still taking comments, maybe fix the speech bubble a bit so that it doesn't interfere with the moustache.

jsav

Thanks for all the help on this critique Thel! Glad you're liking it!

LauraJerry

This started out sloppy, but with all your hard work is starting to look really good. I would make his snout a bit more rounded, personally, but I think you could submit this as is too.

jsav

Thanks, it actually is submitted but I'm waiting for approval..I'll probably comment again once it's up for voting!

No account?
Join Us