Close
One second...

Illustrator to PDF

Is there a way to PDF an illustrator document, so that only the contents of the artboard are in the PDF?

I always have to open acrobat and crop out work stuff around the edges, or masked areas.

Watch this
Monkey II

Yes -- export as pdf

spires
2 designs submitted - Score now!

no, it exports the entire contents of the document. Did you read the post?

eskimokiss

don't have anything outside the edges. simple

Monkey II

YES I did -- but you can redefine your art board with one of the tools. Export it as pdf -- and it will crop automatically.

Monkey II

Or export all to pdf -- crop it in photoshop. 1 minute job.

bortwein

In CS2, the Save As: PDF function crops to the Artboard size... what version are you using?

mezo

What bort said.

Monkey II

I told spires that in the first post. I got bashed. T_T

eskimokiss

don't worry, it's just spires

staffell

what everyone said

Monkey II

what staff said

bortwein

Try Save as EPS, then drag it into Acrobat Distiller. Or what eskimo said.

etherbrian

Create a box the same size as your artboard, vertically and horizontally align it to the page, then select Object/Crop Area/Make (shift-command-K). Voila!

kayceislost

oh you could open up indesign, and drag the document to indesign, and then save it as a pdf.

spires

I'm using CS; I guess that's the issue. They must have fixed it in the next version.

bortwein

Actually the EPS to Distiller thing doesn't work like you want it to so scratch that...

spires

thanks all! I'll just have to get CS2

bortwein

Acrobat has a crop tool if you have an pro version

spires

yeah, that's what I've been doing bort, but I'd rather trim the extra step

spires

oh, and monkeyII .. i didn't bash you; sorry that you took it that way though

mezo

You can crop in CS. Stop being lazy!

Monkey II

In the end -- Indesign does layout-stuff the best^^

Monkey II

I was only kidding spires =D

spires

I'm not lazy; from illustrator masked areas export as blank space on pdf's, which shifts where on the page the document will print.

I'm trying to make documents print-fool-proof for people who aren't familiar enough with printing. I could open the document up in acrobat and trim, which is what I have been doing, but I'd rather illustrator just export the contents of the artboard only.

My computer sort of sucks and the simple things take extra time. Any steps I can eliminate would make things much quicker and easier for me.

No account?