Close
One second...

Money Can't Buy You Happiness

• by Kolb
  • posted Jan 05, 2007
  • 35 Comments

Unlike their big city cousins, the hillbilly raisins didn't have fame and fortune to taint friendships and bloat egos. Instead, friendship and simplicity prevailed.

Watch this
Recycledwax
Recycledwax profile pic Alumni

Ohh! The raisin are back!! :D Great illustration! 4

Syrnix

5 $$$$$

Jemae
Jemae profile pic Alumni

Cute! =)

staffell
staffell profile pic Alumni

old skoolz

deep space monkey
deep space monkey profile pic Alumni

That's great, you're probably over too many people's head though. Lots of kids on this site... But for those of us who remember the 80's, again it's great.

erikhartley

The California Raisins were viewed as racist characters by many--Putting them in a band like this almost makes the stereotype worse. At least they're not Black-Face, I suppose. Still the illustration is done well... I'm a little torn.

ohyoustealher

I had California Rasins acton figures. I kind of wish my dog hadn't eaten them

herky
herky profile pic Alumni

As Arnold would say "those raisins are from Kalifornia." Great characters, Iike the one sipping the moonshine.

pinkcaryatid

I'm gonna second the racist thing... This makes me uncomfortable.

Kolb
Kolb profile pic Alumni

That's too bad about the racist thing. I without a doubt didn't mean for anything of the sort.

samul

this hardly gives off racist vibes in my opinion, there raisins in a band. . .

photocaitlin

maybe you should title it "Arkansas Raisins" hee hee

Alex M. Solefish

Oh, man, reminds me of The California Raisins... ah, Claymation. 5.

oohmandy

i like it. 5.

haleyjane

i love california raisins. $5!!!!!!

NessaChan

My appalachian history professor might call this a "negative stereotype of appalachian culture," but I think I like it, nevertheless

EZFL
EZFL profile pic Alumni

The California Raisins were viewed as racist characters by many--Putting them in a band like this almost makes the stereotype worse. At least they're not Black-Face, I suppose.

How are purple raisins racist? Everyones so damn scared of offending others, its pathetic.

Decent submission. It gets a 3

quietine

california raisins are part of a long tradition of racially charged caricatures, not that the artist necessarily knew that. it was the first thing i thought when i saw this image, glad someone else caught it too. eesh. 0

helo

I finally saw that the gal is the Sunmaid character. Her bonnet needs to be red (but toned down so it doesn't attract too much attention).

sonmi
sonmi profile pic Alumni

oh snap

tofurky

are those raisins?

.jl-london.

Haha, the california raisins, brilliant design, love the colours

Brett F.

i must have this shirt. =)

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$666666666

AzrimEkim

Either those raisins are huge, or that girl is really tiny.

Laureal

aww, I always loved the California Raisins... HAHA, I love the overalls, teeeheeee!

FRICKINAWESOME
FRICKINAWESOME profile pic Alumni

well, i dig the design but they remind me of the "Alabama Porch Monkeys" from Bamboozled...but that wouldnt stop me from wearing it. I'd just accpet a beating now and then....

jaz999

Go the old skool! I feel all old now, hahaha.
And as for the racist thing... it's kinda dumb, raisins just aren't white. would you call cauliflower racist? People are just waaaaay too tight. Great illustration!

dunfyboy

How many oppressed purple minorities do you know?

emily27

wow, the california raisins used to terrify me.. but this is sweet. i luv it

No account?
Join Us