One second...

Soft Bomb

D'aw! That's really awesome! Completely retro design, I'm already in love with it.

$5 ... print, print, print.

Watch this
  1. 1
  2. 2

travis76 profile pic Alumni

solid 5 dude. can't tell if the cowgirl is a elvgren (evlgren, sp?) pin up re vectored, but i don't care. well done.

whisper in water

It's really not my type of shirt, but I love the colours and the style of this... Nicely done :)

BasicShift profile pic Alumni

wowsa... great use of zipatone dithering here! love it!

staffell profile pic Alumni

fucking sickkkkk 5$

mikemills profile pic Alumni

Wow - great design. 5$

biticol profile pic Alumni

5$!5$!5$!5$!5$! what more can i say???!!!

i love it.. makesmethink of ww2

elvgren is one of my favorite pin-up artists!

i think the elvgren family are like the tightest copyright hounds too though...

streetwise profile pic Alumni

explosive design man. 5$

thats hot

Totally hot, but I'm disappointed that it's a Gil Elvgren girl. Also, is that your name (hogboy) on the bomb?

cuypi profile pic Alumni

grayehound profile pic Alumni

Trav is right, the Elvgren clan are copyright hounds. still the colors and layout are awesome. And someone else remembers ZIPATONE! Yehaw, BasicShift!

yeah, you changed it up a little bit from the original, but i still like the design and the idea.. maybe you could draw your own cowgirl to put with the design?

hogboy profile pic Alumni

Just to clarify, as Trav, Alphabetapi, Redsugar & Grayehound have mentioned, yes the girl is a re-working of an Elvgren pinup.
The initial idea was to take an obvious piece of pop culture & place it in a fantastic situation... I went for the girl actually on the bomb as opposed to being painted on the side of the bomber.
I do wish that I was as aware as Trav & Graye of the Elvgren clans reputation as copyright hounds, I woulda gone for a different image... or perhaps in hindsight I just shoulda taken that extra lifedrawing class...dang!

mezo profile pic Alumni

Copyright infringment or not, you've done a great job mixing old & new. And that halftone background ties everything together perfectly.

Le Senegal

Fantastic Color choice...

Luke... profile pic Alumni

concept is great, love the bomb, but agree with the need for redrawing the cowgirl. [her shading makes her look a bit odd]
great design.

adam antium
adam antium profile pic Alumni

nonolarson profile pic Alumni

Wow great!!!

hey, i still 5 it, and i'd buy it if it was available anywhere. i don't see the elvgren descendants torching every hot topic in america...yet...
classic bods overpower my sense of artistic justice. we all know you're an ace designer.

This looks great.

Cheers Trav... I've given this a lot of though on my way into town. Truth is the idea for this, as I've said was to put a recognisable piece of pop culture into a fantastic or ironic setting. I honestly wasnt trying to claim the pinup girl as my own piece of work. That said heres where I think I've gone wrong - it's one thing to directly parody pop culture for example Dark Side of The Garden using Darth & the death star as subject material or JC Was a Streaker using the Michael OBrien photo ( ) -as long as the parodied subject matter is sufficiently stylised as to be original... Probably what I should've done is stylised the Elvgren pinup a whole bunch more - to make it easily recognisable but original.

Truth is, unlike a score of artists here (Graye, Mezo, Trav, Mr Rocks, John2 etc etc) character illustration is not my forte. Consequently I have a tendency to fall back on reference photos when trying to create realistic looking human characters in my design... Perhaps with this sub I have unintentionally crossed the line in what is acceptable & not.

I think I will rework this design with a more stylised girl, sub it & see how it scores, partially for the sake of credibility amongst the threadless community but more as a challenge to myself.

Rock-Deputy profile pic Alumni

that's awesome!

montmont profile pic Alumni

nice mate, really fucking nice!

^Wow - I'm floored.

Mad Props to you for actually thinking it through rationally - seeing that fine line between parody and possible infringement - and owning up to "unintentionally cross[ing] the line".

It can be hard to see sometimes. And most people just get angry and defensive.

You've done some good work - you should definitely re-work this with a new girl.

Mr Rocks
Mr Rocks profile pic Alumni

I don't know how anal the Elvgren family are, but this is on the line I reckon. I think you have changed it enough, but at the end of the day the 'judge' could feel it's a rip.

I'm still giving it a 5 and have admired this design since I say it. Everyone know I love chicks on bombs!!

Mr Rocks
Mr Rocks profile pic Alumni

'saw it'

excellent, truly excellent.

THe Girl Is Hot

That is nice. In every sense of the word. Well done, Hogboy. $5

Pretty cool man. Not sure I like the cloud thing in the background, but still very sweet

I love the design.

This reminds me of the Dvice clothing illustration we got for a Nexus article a while back. I really like the illustration and I have a feeling you might be the same person that we interviewed?

haha....I am. This one never got used for DViCE.

fc gravy

that sucker is bootyful! $5

Excellent attitude, hogboy. I'm voting 5 on this just for your mature response and plans to rework it into a design that's more of your own work.

Ava Adore

wow, awesome work

nice. :) good luck

Ha, she's riding Hogboy

1. 1
  2. 2
No account?
Join Us