Close
One second...

The dark is back

• by CONVOKE
  • posted Feb 10, 2006
  • 50 Comments

Good illustration, but it will never be printed. Trademark infringement and all that...

the Darth Vader enjoyed horticulture shirt was a little more... ambiguous. This is too blatantly Edward Scissorhands to ever go to print.

Watch this
DannyDreams

meh...good artwork.

Misster

weird $2

staffell
staffell profile pic Alumni

Ummm, the whole darth vader bush cutting just screams Glennz at me im afraid.

nipplenugget

You're kidding with this, right? ZERO

mcnasty

why would eddie do vader?

Ellsswhere
Ellsswhere profile pic Alumni

yeah... you would have to be borderline mentally retarded to think that two shirts with nearly the same images would get printed... if you just didnt know about the other shirt in print, well then nice try but im still not feeling a relationship between the two images.

Mistressmiller

the concept is good I can almost see where you're going....but you're not there. sorry.

ToucanSam

...have you SEEN the other Vader/bush shirt? Poor form, man, poor form.

Dejo22

other one got printed, so this one might too.
nice idea, cool concept compared to the other winner...

_Jen

vader and bush cutting already printed...
and the bush and ed just... dont mix together, who cuts a bush awkwardly like that? and they the drawing styles on the two are totally different. ftl

allisonranieri

good art, but like staffell said, even though the ideas are different, darth + topiaries = glennz.

CuteLittleFaery

The Glennz shirt aside, this one doesn't even make sense. Why would Edward shape a topiary like Darth's head? If it were a shape relevant to the film, or even any of the other Depp films, I'd consider giving this a good score, but the present juxtaposition seems completely arbitrary.

Giraffechick

hhaha cute, but i wouldnt wear it.

starr226
starr226 profile pic Alumni

boo.

bananaphone
bananaphone profile pic Alumni

"Good illustration, but it will never be printed. Trademark infringement and all that..."

You are an idiot, shut up, you aren't a trademark lawyer, threadless have solicitors, they don't need you to point out this shit to them, especially when there are loopholes in the law to allow for tshirts like this.

So shut up and rate the god damn tshirt.

batter

amen bananaphone. why do all the college freshmen like to tout their faux law credentials?

caseface

its good but why does edward have to be making darth vader?

pILAMY

there is a better one with vader and grass.

craigily
craigily profile pic Alumni

this shirt should be called eddie vader... get it? like the guy from perl jam. ok sorry i know that was horrible

valciccio81

This is the best, I WOULD WEAR IT. very very good 5!!!!

SockMonkeySpaz

The Death Star topiary was better.

bouncingdropkick

i already own a shirt with this theme. and, surprise! it's from this site.

accidentalily

well vader cut the other tree, ed's cutting this one and it looks like vader.

i actually like this so...

eh.

timjimkim

dude, i love edward scissorhands, do something with him...and just him.

ethanjhayward

man, i love the 'constructive criticism' this one's getting.

come on, commentors, grow up. the worst thing that could happen is that it won't get printed.

that being said, the vader head is sorta deformed. it looks sorta twisted from top to bottom.

vader421

you have disgraced an icon

somepoems

Okay, are you commenters paying attention? Do you really think that another topiary Darth Vader shirt would just coincidentally appear on Threadless? This is clearly an attempt at a Glennz reference/in-joke, and not any kind of ripoff or strange coincidental design. There have been enough "look how I've assembled all of the famous Threadless characters on a single shirt" entries that you should know what the artist is trying to do here. Even the title is a reference: The Dark [Side of the Garden] is Back. For a professional example, see Lichtenstein's Still Life with Picasso: http://www.andipamodern.com/IMAGE/9953.jpg

That said, I'm not really in love with the execution of the design, clashing art styles and whatnot, and I don't think I would be so quick to buy a shirt that only other Threadless members would understand. Especially when even some of them don't get it.

lillavanilla

personally, i like this better than the dark side of the garden, and yeah its obv intentional. i would buy this, cuz ppl who dont know threadless wouldn;t think it was a ripoff and ppl who do know threadless would hopefully get the joke. also, i think its a clever tie in cuz edward does topiary in the movie, though idk if vadar is totally necessary

freehugs

ha edward scissorhands i love that movie!
i havent seen that in a while
its a good idea

hellodisko

so awkward...

AlecGrieco

with glennz aside, i really like this, but i would make the EddyScizzHands a tad more ambigous

dawojcie

I'm confused.

vwaites

thank GOD somepoems said that! there have been threadless self-referencing subs before, and this is one of them.

canadarocks

it's kinda like that other one.

yamar68

I completely agree with you, Wrinkle. I would imagine that whoever made this t-shirt saw the other vader shirt and was like "Oh c'mon, this could be so much better"... and you know what? They were right.

And seriously guys... it has EDWARD SCISSORHANDS ON IT!!!

WiggidyWack

Vaders Head seems weird to me. Twisty or something? And I think Ed should be more into the trimming, mabey even using both scissor-hands?

CLITzip

I think this picture is one of the most creative ones yet. Very lovely.

viktor01

LOVE SCISSORHANDS......
BUT CAN YOU TRY SOMETHING ELSE....
change design please.... Be more original....

JELLYTANK

GREAT DESIGN! I think Darth Vader look like King kong for me.

valciccio81

very good work 4lex...5

solidsecure

YOUR A BUTTON MASHER ARN'T YOU.

Booper

I'd love to get this for my boyfriend! Please print!

nasomagistererat

The vader shrub doesn't actually look like a shrub; it looks like a green vader head drawn with fuzzy lines. Maybe you should try drawing a shrub shaped like vader rather than a grassy vader head. Sorry to bring up the Dark Side of the Garden again, but the death star in that design looked like it had little leaves. The clippings look more like grass than shrubbery. I'd also like to see Edward working instead of posing. He got very intense while he was working in the actual movie, but this guy isn't even looking at what he's cutting.

4lexfoot

thank U 4 your comments...whichever.

hildebat

I might be the only one that thinks this, but isn't there another shirt with darth vader trimming a shrub that looks like the death star? I don't know.

No account?
Join Us