I am completely invisible on Threadless...

I`ve brought this up with Threadless before but the answer was quite frankly ridiculous.

If I search for my designs nothing comes up. Yes, yes -- I know we are all competing with thousands of other designs with the same tags or titles. But when I assign a unique tag to one of my designs -- such as xyz239 -- and then search for it still nothing comes up. The Threadless explanation was that popular designs come up first. Designs that have had sales come up first. Designs that are commercial come up first. The more your design is searched for the more it is likely to show up in a search.

So -- those of us new to Threadless are unlikely to ever appear on a search if no one can find us in the first place. Catch 22: you dont show up because youve never shown up before.

Im still constructing my store. Whem Im happy with my designs I will post thye direct link to my collections on my social media sites in the hope customers will then be taken directly to my work. But if they are not actually searching then Threadless will still consider them worthless. Potential customers who are not in my social circle will never find my designs.

I will try it for a couple of months. If I am still invisible in searches I will delete my site.

Watch this
agrimony
agrimony profile pic Alumni

yep.. mine took probably weeks to months for designs to start showing up.

make sure you are opted in to managed pricing etc.. and just promote away on social media

childlife

Could it also be that the real reason we don’t show up is because we haven’t won a challenge to have an item sold on the Threadless site? Or is it really a popularity contest? I’m leaning towards the first reason. Otherwise we would be able to be searched if even by our screen names. I believe our shops are separate from the main Threadless site, so unless Threadless sells one of our item on their site, we are not searchable. But unless a staff member confirms it, we can only guess.

agrimony

easy way to test it is to buy one of your own items!

i did buy a couple of my own stuff before, so maybe that's why?

superdesigner
childlife said:

Could it also be that the real reason we don’t show up is because we haven’t won a challenge to have an item sold on the Threadless site? Or is it really a popularity contest? I’m leaning towards the first reason. Otherwise we would be able to be searched if even by our screen names. I believe our shops are separate from the main Threadless site, so unless Threadless sells one of our item on their site, we are not searchable. But unless a staff member confirms it, we can only guess.

I don't think it is the first reason. I have never won a contest or sold anything on the main site, but my work comes up and people have bought it from the discover shop without promotion from me (not a huge number, but enough to know it is findable). I guess it is possible that you have to have first sold something in your own shop, but it would be nice if they told us that.

Superfreez

It's always been like that ,there are a lot of artists.you really have to get in there and promised your self if you are going to sell anything from new inventions to art or books . It's all about marketing.

CDPTees

I am also completely invisible here. My Designs have never shown up in searches. I've been here a while but I'm really starting to be able to focus on my shop and I'm trying to put my work out there for everyone to see. I'm looking for tips on how to do so. I also take requests and I'd love to hear what you'd like to see in my shop. Thank you so much! Stay safe and take care of your loved ones in this strange time!

https://cdptees.threadless.com

linkbekka

Thanks for your replies.

Now I really am confused. What does it mean that our shops aren`t in the main Threadless shop...?! I thought this was Threadless. What is a discovery shop...?

And Im not here to enter competitions or accumulate likes. This is not a social site for me: Im simply here to sell products.

I do reasonably well on Redbubble with two or three sales a month. I`m not here to make a pot of money -- simply to get my designs out there so people can buy them.

So....discovery shops? Threadless main site...? Managed pricing...?

Fill me in, guys. I`m new here and already confused after a much clearer business model on Redbubble.

Thanks again.

agrimony
linkbekka said:

Thanks for your replies.

Now I really am confused. What does it mean that our shops aren`t in the main Threadless shop...?! I thought this was Threadless. What is a discovery shop...?

And Im not here to enter competitions or accumulate likes. This is not a social site for me: Im simply here to sell products.

I do reasonably well on Redbubble with two or three sales a month. I`m not here to make a pot of money -- simply to get my designs out there so people can buy them.

So....discovery shops? Threadless main site...? Managed pricing...?

Fill me in, guys. I`m new here and already confused after a much clearer business model on Redbubble.

Thanks again.

Threadless has their own catalogue. Artist shops were designed to be independent of that, but recently they have allowed designs to be searchable in the marketplace. It is confusing yes.

https://artistshopshelp.threadless.com/article/899-what-is-managed-pricing

https://artistshopshelp.threadless.com/article/802-how-does-the-marketplace-work

childlife

There used to be an option on Threadless called discover. It allowed users to see all the new products people would add to their shops. You could then heart the design. It allowed people to see your new designs even if they didn’t follow. It was kind of nice if you wanted to sift through all the designs to see what other artists were doing and follow them. You might not be looking for that, but followers could potentially buy your products. But the discover page isn’t the same anymore. You can still find your discover page, but it’s not as easy for users to get to unless they click on your screen name to get to your shop, and to do that they first have to see one of your designs. So don’t stress over the discover shop mention. Just keep promoting your self on other venues. Maybe buy your own products to showcase. If you’re a people person, maybe some random stranger will ask you where you got your shirt. Or maybe ask friends and family to buy something to get you started. Design a product they might want. Tell them it could make great Christmas or birthday presents and help you all at the same time.

linkbekka

Thanks again.

I`ve stopped at 20-odd designs. Will simply promote the products on my social media sites. At least that way people get straight to my shop and can then browse.

The search in the actual Threadless page is useless.

Will watch how it goes. Im very happy with my Redbubble site where I get 2 to 3 sales per month on average. No money in it, but just good to know Im not wasting my time. I have almost 700 designs on Redbubble so guess that helps with sales. But the uploading and adjusting of each file does take a lot of time...!

Cheers. Good luck.

https://kaleidoscopeuk.threadless.com/

AnimaSomnia

Choosing winners and other designs for printing for the main catalogue is fair. But I do wish there was some other way that artist shops get traffic apart from social media following. Or is that the whole point of an artist shop? I suck at marketing, so until I figure out how to do that effectively, I'd just try to experiment with designs and hope one gets chosen for printing.

With other sites like Redbubble or Teepublic, I think you basically need to upload A LOT of designs just so you get more exposure.

AnimaSomnia

I wonder if Threadless would consider creating a system for artist shops to earn points so that you can qualify for the main catalogue, or be featured. I get that they obviously want quality content and for stuff to match trends, but wouldn't it be a win-win if an artist shop earns being featured in the main market? There are too many good designs here not getting traffic, and I think it's a nice incentive to improve one's collection not only to win challenges but also to be mindful of what one uploads in the artist shop.

No account?
Join Us