Mo Knows Drinkin': Mixology with Absolut Vodka

I’m Mo, and I know liquor, specifically vodka. In honor of the partnership between Absolut and Threadless on the Absolut Chicago challenge, I decided to gather some friends and get creative with Absolut Vodka’s Citron, Mandarin, and classic vodkas.

Using the Threadless break room as our test kitchen, we played make-believe as master mixologists and wanted to share the standout elixirs from our experimentation.

Absolut Threadless Tea (see what I did there…)
Runner up title: Tea Thyme

2 cups Absolut Citron
¼ cup black tealeaves
12 sprigs of thyme
1-2 tbsp of sugar or honey
A twist of lemon
Water or club soda

In a mason jar or other clear vessel, let the Absolut Citron infuse with the tealeaves and thyme sprigs for about 2 hours at room temperature, sun tea style. If you’ve never made sun tea, let the clear vessel sit in the windowsill, or anywhere with exposure to direct sunlight. Strain the liquid into a serving pitcher, discarding the tea leave and thyme leftovers, and stir in the tablespoon of sugar or honey. Pour 2 ounces of the infused vodka solution over a highball glass with ice, and top with water or club. Squeeze in some fresh lemon juice, and garnish with a sprig of thyme, a lemon slice, a big floppy hat, and some good front porch people to help you enjoy those last late summer days.

5 Alive (Minus 2)
Just like the popular soft drink 5 Alive! (Without grapefruit or tangerine)

2 oz. Absolut Mandarin
3 oz. lemonade
Juice from 1 lime
Lime for garnish
Ice

This lil’ number is pretty sweet and straightforward, so it’s great any time of the night (even when you’ve lost all the shot glasses). Don’t let the simplicity fool you: it’s dangerously delicious. Mix the Absolut Mandarin and lemonade, spritz in some fresh squeezed lime juice, and top with ice. Add a lime slice if you need some pizzazz, and spend the night making memories you’ll likely forget by morning.

Mo Knows-ito
Like a Mojito, this cocktail incorporates mint , lime, and sugar. Unlike a mojito, this drink uses vodka, lemonade, and strawberries. That’s what makes it a Mo Knows-ito

1 1/2 fluid ounces Absolut Vodka
10 fresh mint leaves
2 strawberries, quartered
1 tbsp. white or raw sugar (or what your taste buds call for) ice cubes
1/2 cup lemonade

Choose a hearty glass, and fill with mint leaves and strawberries. If you’re classy, use a muddler to crush the strawberry-mint mixture and release the delicious minty oils and juices, but if you’re extra classy you can use a spoon like we did. Depending on your sweet tooth, add the 1 tbsp. of sugar, and proceed with pulverization. We used the tsp. of sugar in our concoction and it was awesome, but the lemonade also sweetens the drink up quite a bit. Keep it nice and gooey at the bottom without straining. Fill the glass with ice, pour in the Absolut Vodka, and top off with the lemonade. Find a fancy umbrella or a tiny sword from a tiny pirate and stir. Enjoy!

Spa Water
For when you’d rather dehydrate than rehydrate from a long day at the gym

1 1/2 fluid ounces Absolut Citron
5 fresh basil leaves
2 strawberries, quartered
Lime Juice
ice cubes
1/2 cup Club Soda

Here’s a little variation on a Mo Knows-ito, for those who have a little less of a sweet tooth, or if you just hate mint. Just like a Mo Knows-ito fill a sturdy glass with strawberries and basil leaves and muddle with a spoon (or more appropriately, a muddler). Fill the cup with ice, and pour over with Absolut Citron. Squiddle in some fresh lime juice and top off with club soda.

Absolut Beergria
Sangria, sans wine

1 cup of Absolut Mandarin
1 peach
8 small pineapple cubes
1 pear
A 6 pack of Wheat Beer*
Lemon slices for garnish

This drink involves a little prep work, but it makes a knockout barbecue beverage. Cut the peach and pear into small cubes, and combine with the pineapple cubes in a serving pitcher. Add 1 cup of Absolut Mandarin and let sit for at least 2 hours, or overnight.

Add the beer just before serving. If you expect the pitcher to go quickly, feel free to add the beer all at once, otherwise mix drinks individually at a ratio of 1 oz of vodka to 8oz of beer. Keep in mind that beer goes flat, so mixing individually will maximize deliciousness. Make sure to bring a spoon to dish some delicious vodka-soaked fruit into every beverage.

• Full disclosure: I wanted to make this drink super Threadless-y by incorporating the Finch’s Threadless IPA, but the Imperial hoppiness of the IPA brought imperial sadness to my mouth, as the beer’s flavor completely overshadowed the other more delicate flavors. In a dream world we would have used the Threadless IPA and called it the Absolut Threadless Sangria, but we don’t live in a dream world. We live in a real world. And sometimes it’s cold, and harsh, and full of disappointments (coming from a girl who just played around mixing vodka for work…). Trust me, a wheat beer is what you want.

Hopefully you can find some fun new drinks to try this weekend, and feel free to let me know in the comments what you’ve tried, or if you have any improvements on these. Mo wants to know what you know, because that’s how Mo Knows best.

Watch this
jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Alumni
i love this
celandinestern
celandinestern profile pic Alumni
those all look soooooo good.
[+duracell-]
All these vegetables keep showing up in my Kitchen every week. I'm thinking you should try to make a Bloody Mo.